Install + Configure + SEO on page: Yoast SEO Tutorial
Since 2015 we have been teaching the SEO – Web Positioning course that we have recommended to our students the same plugin: Yoast. It is ideal for those who are just starting out and it has a lot of functionalities that help us solve SEO issues at a stroke.
However, it is not the only SEO plugin. This is why we recommend you take a look at the previous class, in case you prefer to select another.
Why is Yoast cool?
Yoast has been making life easier for SEOs for years. It is easy to use, has been adapting to the needs of the market and has been meeting different needs. It is true that as some blogs in the sector point out, it has had some problems with some versions, but what plugin doesn’t?
On the other hand, for students who are learning it is easy to configure and covers the basic needs of SEO.
Install SEO Yoast
- To be able to carry out this action you must go to >> Plugins >> add new.
- Then you add in the box “Yoast and you click” install now. “
- You give “activate”.
- The following screen will appear.
SEO Yoast general settings
- The configuration options already depend on the needs of each project. However, we go on to explain the most important ones. As always when configuring any SEO tool, we are going to recommend that you fill in all the options. Try to read everything from top to bottom and complete everything it asks for. If you don’t understand a term, you can check it on Google.
- In order to access the configuration, we must go to the SEO >> general tab.
- In the tab “features” you will see a lot of options. If you give the question in each one, the plugin itself explains what each thing is. The most important option is “Sitemap” since to do SEO we will have to send it to Google Webmasters. We will explain how to configure Google Webmasters in a separate class.
Appearance in the search engine
- In order to access this configuration, we must go to the SEO tab >> Appearance in the search engine.
- In general, we will select some default meta-title and meta-description options.
- In taxonomies, we can eliminate those elements that we do not want to appear in search engines.
- The same goes for the “files” section.
- In “breadcrumbs” we will select how we want them to appear.
- In order to access this configuration, we must go to the SEO >> Social tab.
- In “accounts” we can add all the social networks that we have.
- The rest of the settings you will see that they have to do with “open graph”. We always leave it by default, so that when sharing on Facebook, for example, it always takes the meta-title.
SEO on page with Yoast
- Time to complete the on-page SEO work! If you haven’t already done so, we recommend that you prepare your web content by following our guidelines to create the perfect blog entry . If you already have your content ready, you can add a new page or post.
- When you have added all the content, scroll down and you will find the “Yoast SEO” box. In it the first thing is to add the keyword.
- Then you give to “edit snippet”. This will allow you to change the meta title and meta description.
- Remember that metatitles and meta descriptions are the texts that appear when performing any Google search. They are very important because they improve the CTR and help users to know what they are going to find when they open the link.
- The job only ends when all the dots are green.
- Important announcement! We have come across many templates that are not entirely compatible with Yoast. If you see that you comply with what he asks of you but the program does not reflect it, do not worry. Yoast is a tool that allows you to comply with the fundamental points of SEO but Yoast is not Google. If you have made the point it asks for correctly but the program does not reflect it, nothing happens.
- Finally, you can mark if the content of that page is essential on your website.
We recommend that you take a look at the next class, which focuses on web design, SEO and UX (user experience).