Link building is a procedure and technique that uses a series of actions that are used to obtain citations through the acquisition of natural and non-automated links to the site being analyzed by the SEO Specialist.
But why are inbound links (or backlinks) so important to increase the trust and trust of the site in the search engine’s eyes?
Simple, just like in real life, if a content is cited positively, repeatedly, from authoritative sources and contextualized to the topic then it means that the site that contains it and that generated it is worthy of trust and attention.
Consequently, the value of the site increases, the organic positioning in the search results pages improves the visits of the users increase and ultimately increases the involvement on the site itself with positive effects in the eyes of search engines.
But we must pay a lot of attention to the quality and value of backlinks since the anti-spam team of the engines themselves (Google in particular) is always careful to penalize all those sites that use incorrect procedures or schemes.
It is therefore necessary to ascertain the origin of the backlink taking into account at least three general factors:
- value and quality of the domain that links to our site
- value and quality of the page that links to our site
- intrinsic value of the link itself
It is mandatory, within a correct link building strategy, to consider these features:
- As the sources that link to us are authoritative (the more authoritative the greater our value will be)
- How much the sources that link us are relevant (the more the link comes from sites in theme with the argument of our greater will be the general value)
- Which anchors (anchor text) have been used to link to us (we must pay attention to their typology: brand, transactional or informational)
- How diversified is the number of backlinks that cite us (links coming from similar sites by domain or IP are considered suspicious as they can be considered part of paid link schemes)
- where the backlink is placed in the linking site (links inserted in sitewide sections such as footer, sidebar and in any case outside the main content are of low value and little impact)
- which follow or nofollow attribute is applied to the backlink (a nofollow link has virtually no value since it does not transmit PageRank to the linked site)
All these factors must be carefully considered within a link building strategy in such a way, as mentioned, to avoid penalties and in this sense a precise analysis of the backlinks defined Link Pruning must always be organized.
We must therefore keep in mind some generic but very useful tips too:
- diversify backlink sources: the more external sites we link to, the greater the possibility that the content and our site is considered of real value;
- prefer the quality of backlinks instead of quantity: better a link of high value rather than 10 of low value;
- absolutely avoid linking schemes or obtain links from sites considered SPAM;
- pay attention to the type of anchor used: generally a good balance provides 30% transactional anchor text and 70% brand anchor and navigation text with a further 60% of this division brand and 10% navigation;
- Keeps a link building campaign active for a very long period and not for a few months or weeks?