Install + Configure + SEO on page with Rank Math
In 2019 Rank Math became a real alternative to SEO Yoast . It includes different functionalities that can save us the installation of some extra plugins, and even avoid buying premium plugins (such as Yoast for Woocommerce). It’s a good plugin if you want to take your on page SEO strategy to the next level.
However, it is not the only SEO plugin. This is why we recommend you take a look at the previous class, in case you prefer to select another:
Why is Rank Math cool?
Rank Math provides some extra functionalities, which are only accessible through other plugins, such as the integration with schema.org or the integration with woocommerce, which in Yoast is a premium functionality.
The number of plugin installations has been increasing in recent months and it also has very good reviews.
Install Rank Math
- To be able to carry out this action you must go to >> Plugins >> Add new.
- Then you add in the box “Rank Math” and you click “install now”.
- You give “activate”.
- It will ask you to create a free Rank Math account: https://rankmath.com/#signup
- Once you have it, the following notice will appear. You give “ok”.
- Once you have installed the plugin, the installation wizard will start.
- Then it will let you import the settings from other plugins. In this image you see Yoast but more may appear if you have them in your installation.
- Then you must select the type of page, a logo to show on Google and the predefined image that you want to appear when someone shares any of your pages on social networks.
- Immediately afterwards you will get a warning to connect Search Console. We discussed this in more detail in the Install Google Search Console in WordPress training.
- The next step has to do with creating the sitemap. We recommend activating it and selecting the type of pages you want to be indexed in search engines. Again, we discussed this in more detail in the Install Google Search Console in WordPress training.
- It remains to configure some extra SEO settings. If you need to clarify concepts such as “nofollow” or “_blank” we recommend that you review the class: SEO on page, section of “links “.
- You have already set up Rank Math! However, we recommend that you continue with a couple more steps and configure the advanced options.
- Here you can configure 404 errors and automatic redirects. If you do not remember what this is about, we recommend that you look at the following training: How do search engines work?
- Finally, it remains to add the types of schema markup that we want to assign by default to posts and pages.
Rank Math Desk
Once you have finished with the configuration wizard, you will be able to access the desktop of this tool.
This option will allow us to control 404 errors on our website. These errors are generated when we change the URL structures without adding a 301 redirect. If this sounds like Chinese, we recommend that you look at the following training: How do search engines work?
This option is recommended if you use Advanced Custom Fields. If your WordPress theme does not use this option, you do not need to activate it.
To find out what AMP is, we recommend you review the following information from Google: https://developers.google.com/amp
bbPress / BuddyPress
Again they are 2 plugins that are added to WordPress to make forums or other functionalities within the installation. If you have these plugins installed, this option will provide some SEO options for this part of your WordPress.
This option will help you to count the internal and external links within each entry, page, etc.
Local SEO & Google Knowledge Graph
This option will allow you to add a series of rich snippets to improve your local SEO. Once activated, you must go to settings and complete all the information that the system asks for.
It allows us to add general redirects. It also allows to automatically generate redirects if we change the URL of our posts or pages.
Schema (Structured Data)
Helps to add and improve the structured data of our wordpress.
If, for whatever reason, your WordPress uses several types of user (administrator, subscriber, author, etc.) it will allow you to assign the types of access you want for each of them.
Allows you to connect our WordPress with the WordPress search console. As this task requires extra configuration, we have prepared a separate training so that you know how to do it.
Run a general analysis of your entire web page. Remember however that Rank Math is not Google and that what the tool tells you may or may not be recommended for your SEO strategy.
Allows you to manage the contents within the sitemap. Again we recommend you review the training to install Google Search Console in WordPress, where we explain more in detail how to perform this task.
If you use woocommerce to manage your online store, this option will improve the specific SEO for e-commerce.
SEO on page with Rank Marth
Time to complete the on-page SEO work! If you haven’t already done so, we recommend that you prepare your web content by following our guidelines to create the perfect blog entry . If you already have your content ready, you can add a new page or post.
When you have added all the content, click on the button on the right. This will open Rank Math’s on-page SEO settings . To change the meta title and meta description, you must click on “edit snippet”.
We remind you that the meta title and meta description are the phrases that appear in Google results. They are changed in the “general” section.
In the “social” section, you can change what appears when the user shares your posts or pages on social networks such as Facebook or Twitter.
Immediately afterwards you can assign the keyword. The rank math itself will give you some options, but we recommend using the Google Ads tool to find your SEO keywords .
Once you have added the keyword. The system will show you a series of sections with errors. Go one by one and improve as much as you can. When you have it in green, you are done!
To continue with the SEO course we recommend you continue with the following class: